Sunday, August 31, 2008

Weekend in Otepää

So I made it through the first week. My jet lag is (nearly) gone. Friday I had my Estonian Language Exam, which, of course, I passed. That means I can officially study at this university in Estonian.

Virtual Tour of my living space:

My room. There's a big window behind me.


The Kitchen. Minimalistic and slightly grimy.


... And that's it. Boring, I know. Let's move on.
___

This weekend I had a jaunt around southern Estonia with Vana and our relatives, Heljo, Nickoli, and their 3-yr old grandson Henri.



On top of a ski jump in Otepää. The platform was 34 meters in the air, and I'm standing on STEEL GRATING. I am absolutely petrified in this photo.

An "Energy Column." ... :O)
Tamme-Lauri Tamm. The oldest oak tree in Europe, or something. Estonians are absolutely crazy about their oak trees.

___

Tomorrow is the official beginning of the academic year. I don't even have my schedule yet. All I know is there's a huge party downtown around 7pm. I am so there.
___

Estonian Pronounciation Lesson: Õ

The Estonian vowel õ is pronounced in the following way: first, form your lips in the shape to say "eeeee." Now, *keep your lips in the same position* but change your tongue and the back of your mouth as if you were saying "ou" as in the word "you."

*WArning! Do not swallow your tongue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are cute. I heart you!