Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pärnu

My week ran something like this:

Wednesday night I went clubbing and my phone fell out of my purse and was lost forever.
Thursday I failed another algebra quiz.
Friday I bought a new phone and went to Pärnu.

New phone. Yah.

I met up with Vana and Marje in the seaside city of Pärnu to celebrate a birthday and visit relatives. We stayed with the Palmiste family, and even though I ended up stealing an 8-yr-old's bed for the night I think she was okay with it. She's the youngest of three, and the only girl, and I think she was thrilled to have me around. I came to this conclusion based on the fact that she was glued to my side the entire evening.

Saturday morning I ate too much and then we went to visit the Jakobsoo family. Piret and Margus are a married couple and they are lovely, lovely people. They served us liqour and potato salad for lunch and then drove us around town for a while. Saturday night we all ate an obsene amount of unbelieveably delicious food and went to bed convinced that Piret was trying to kill us by overfeeding us. I had a stomach ache until lunch time the next day. Ugh.

Altogether, this weekend was exactly what I needed. In a land of reserved strangers and cold weather it was really, really nice to be reminded that I'm loved and that no one is expecting me to figure it all out all at once.
___

Estonian Word of the Day:

Põdema (PUH-deh-maw): to suffer (to be afflicted). Ma põen pohmelli. [I am suffering from a hangover.]

No comments: