Saturday, October 4, 2008

cankles.

I think all that's left to do is to laugh. Because Someone finds it amusing to keep throwing new situations at me and if I had an Estonian kroon for every time I have thought to myself "Well, I know that things will get better because there's no way it can get any worse," I'd probably have enough money to buy some ice cream.

I found out today that I have tendinitis in my ankles. Yes, those same ankles that help me walk to class and to the grocery store; the same ankles that let me dance the polka at folk dance practice and do yoga in my room; the same ankles that have never, ever caused me any trouble before. Mom called one of our family friends who's a photographer and also happens to be an orthopedic surgeon, and passed on the symptoms I've been having for a week and a half. Basically the long and the short of it is that I either lay in bed for a week starting right now, icing my ankles and swallowing ibuprofen a few times a day, or I suddenly find myself with a stress fracture and mandatory bed rest for 6 weeks. Eugchhh. So lots of homework and movies this weekend... I already watched the VP debate from Thursday and it was so riveting that I fell asleep.

My life isn't an entire failure, though. I had an Algebra test last Thursday and I totally killed it. I'm liking the city of Tartu more and more. I'm making friends in the math department and finding new thrift stores. ... .......... So yeah.
___

Estonian Word of the Day:

Hüppeliiges (HOOP-eh-LEEG-ehs): ankle. Minu hüppeliigesed virisevad. [My ankles are whining.]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Orthopedic surgeon / photographer? Sounds like the kind of friend everyone should have. Cankles is a funny word. Even if I didn't know what it meant, I'd still giggle.
I fell asleep during the first Presidential debate, but not the VP one, because if I had, I'd be late for work (it ran from 6:30am - 8:00 here, which was perfect for getting my day rolling. I suppose I didn't have to watch it live, but now I can pretend be be informed and on the edge.)
Enjoy the bed-ridden-ness, use it to plan awesomeness for healthy ankles-time. If I ever stopped to plan, I'd probably be doing something cooler than dicking around on the internets right now... I almost went to Thailand this weekend, but that fell through.