Monday, November 3, 2008

Dear Piret

Here is the letter I sent to the International Student Office last week.

Dear Piret,

I hope that you'll forgive me if I write to you in English. I am able to express myself better in English and unfortunately I have something very serious I need to speak to you about.

I have decided to step out of the University of Tartu mathematics master's program.

These past two months I have given a sincere effort in my courses - I have attended classes regularly, I have done all the homework assignments, and I have studied and done well on quizzes and tests. However, I have come to realize that the program is not a right match for me. I strongly feel that the Tartu University mathematics program is not able to give me the education I desire.

That is not to say that the University of Tartu mathematics program isn't a strong program. The program is rigorous and challenging, and the professors are knowledgeable and helpful. Unfortunately, I feel that the program here focuses too much on theoretical mathematics, and not enough on applied mathematics. I am interested in mathematical modeling and the application of math to the fields of biology and ecology; in short, interdisciplinary mathematics. I have come to realize that this type of research is nearly impossible at Tartu University in the scope of a two year master's program, and the various departments at Tartu University are not used to communicating in such a way as to allow for this kind of project.

I had not known any of this when I applied for the master's program at Tartu University. In fact, I had tried to contact the mathematics department ahead of time with general questions about the program and questions regarding possibilities for interdisciplinary research projects. Unfortunately I never received a response from the department and so I came here not knowing what to expect.

I strongly feel that I would be much happier in another master's program at another university.

I would like to begin the exmatriculation process as soon as possible so that we may begin settling any debts I may have incurred.

I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused.

Sincerely,

Maarika Teose


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Huh.
Everyone's quitting here too, reasons along the same lines.
Of course you'd post this the day I lost internet for a week for my move to Chennai. It looks like you made the right choice, though. I see you've written and done a TON since this letter, and I have an idea of what happens when you don't get out while the gettin's good:
My friends are quitting, I decided to stay and try to finish my experience here (because I'm too cheap to buy my own ticket out of India). They are all blissfully happy and relaxed... I'm blissfully happy and relaxed only because I've had some sort of breakdown and now believe I'm some sort of omnipotent, omnipresent potato.
BTW, I've been reading a lot of Oscar Wilde lately, so it takes a strong word to impress me, but "exmatriculation?" Magnificent.