Monday, September 8, 2008

Dancing high.

Does anyone else get dancing highs? Or am I the only weirdo on the block? Because I swear to god, tonight after folk dance auditions I felt like I could have floated all the way home.

Tartu University has its own folk dance troupe and they are INTENSE. Intensely good, that is. They look fantastic on stage and have incredible control of their movements. Of couse, they didn't get like that by accident. Rehearsals, I learned today, are like two-hour-long aerobic workouts accompanied by accordion. With partners. The instructor has a short stature but a tall personality, and will not accept anything less than 110% from everyone. .. my kinda woman.

I nearly died, but I think I did alright. I hope I get in....

... and if not, then mom already assured me that the Estonian folkdance mafia will take care of it.
___

Estonian Folk Dance Lesson: Valss vs. Voorsamm vs. Labajalavalss vs. Vahetussamm (or, How Many Versions of the Waltz Step Can Estonians Invent?)

Valss: Similar to ballroom waltz, but actually completely different. Rather than stepping straight forward or backwards, couples step to the side and turn along the line of the circle.
Voorsamm: Again, basically a waltz step, but danced without a partner, usually holding hands with others in a straight line. The first step is large and leans a bit to the side. Moves with energy.
Labajalavalss: This is what the "valss" would look like if it was danced sitting down in chairs. Literally translated it means "flatfooted waltz." ... Be sure to wear arch support.
Vahetussamm: Kind-of a waltz step, but in 4-4 time. Can be danced on your toes, or walking, or as a gallop, or anything, really.

Okay? I hope you're all taking notes. There will be a short quiz next period.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha! brilliant!

sounds wicked maarika..i tried tdoing some bosnian dancing once...it was hardcore and a half.

we had a party in our house the other day (new one...me rob and a girl called izzy) and i had a ong conversation with Alix about you and how you were. (may or may not have told you this already but can't remember as i am hopeless)

amazaing!....carry on dancing ..i hope you got in!!!

..Rx