Saturday, October 18, 2008

Kitsch.

QUIZ!!!!

Which of the following would not be considered "kitsch"?

a.) My grandmother's lace doilies and fake pearl earrings;
b.) An old sideboard that smells of furniture polish;
c.) Chipped tea sets and tarnished silver;
d.) Dusty chandeliers and accordions;
e.) Techno music.

I frikken live for kitsch. My clothes, my jewelry, my most prized possessions... all kitsch. "Gypsy rock," therefore, is a phenomenon that I fully and wholeheartedly support because the kitsch factor is just off the charts. (For the uninitiated, please see: Gogol Bordello, Shantel, Devotchka.)

Last night I went and saw a band called "Väikeste Lõõtspillide Ühing," or "The Society for Small Concertinas." Their sound is somewhere between gypsy rock and country folk, and we all danced the polka until we couldn't see straight. During the band breaks, my folk dance instructor appeared and got all of us to partake in some very interesting Estonian social dances. ... I was touched by complete strangers in some rather odd places, to say the least.

Kitsch, kitsch, kitsch. ... Hm. Funny. If you say it enough times the word becomes onomatopoeic nonsense.

Even Estonian ska is somewhat kitschy. The very popular Estonian band Ska Faktor took the stage after VLÜ finished and my god, they were good. I completely forgot that I had any ankles at all and skanked like a maniac on the dancefloor.

Some photos:



This is my new best friend Villem.


My roommate Aune.


My folk dance partner Verner. This is exactly what he looks like 90% of the time.


My relative Kadri (on the left), and her friend Liis (center). I don't know who that other girl is. Some weirdo who wears her grandmother's clothes.


Folk dancing at a nightclub. You best believe it.

No comments: